The menopause is a natural part of ageing that usually occurs between 45 and 55 years of age, as a woman's oestrogen levels decline. In the UK, the average age for a woman to reach the menopause is 51. However, around 1 in 100 women experience the menopause before 40 years of age. Periods usually start to become less frequent over a few months or years before they stop altogether. Sometimes they can stop suddenly. The menopause is caused by a change in the balance of the body’s sex hormones, which occurs as you get older. It happens when your ovaries stop producing as much of the hormone oestrogen and no longer release an egg each month. Premature or early menopause can occur at any age, and in many cases, there’s no clear cause.
Sometimes it’s caused by a treatment such as surgery to remove the ovaries, some breast cancer treatments, or it can be brought on by an underlying medical condition, such as Down’s syndrome or Addison’s disease.
Most women will experience menopausal symptoms. Some of these can be quite severe and have a significant impact on your everyday activities.
Common symptoms include:
- Hot flushes
- Night sweats
- Vaginal dryness
- Difficulty sleeping
- Low mood or anxiety
- Reduced sex drive
- Problems with memory or concentration
Menopausal symptoms can begin months or even years before your periods stop and last around 4 years after your last period, although some women experience them for much longer.
Typical treatments include
- HRT – Hormone Replacement Therapy – tablets, skin patches, gels & implants that relive menopausal symptoms by replacing oestrogen
- Vaginal oestrogen creams, lubricants or moisturisers for vaginal dryness
- CBT – Cognitive Behavioural Therapy – a type of talking therapy that can help with low mood and anxiety
- Eating a healthy balanced diet and exercising regularly
Where to Buy Balance Activ Moisture Plus
Balance Activ Moisture Plus is available in many retailers nationwide such as Boots and Superdrug and online via Chemist.co.uk.Where to Buy